Wayne County has begun prepping 8 Mile Road, on the southern border of Farmington and Farmington Hills, and 7 Mile Road in Livonia for major construction projects that should be completed this fall.
Heavy construction activity on the $3.5 million project begins next week, from Farmington Road west to Newburgh (Halsted Road in Farmington Hills). Tiffani Jackson, a spokeswoman for the Wayne County Department of Public Works, told the Detroit Free Press that traffic lane closures on both of the major thoroughfares will be coordinated.
“We’ll never have the lane closures at the same time,” she said.
Other major construction projects underway in Farmington Hills include
- 13 Mile, from Farmington Road to Orchard Lake Road – one lane of traffic maintained in each direction with short term closures as necessary.
- Gill Road and Colfax Street – currently involves work on Gill Road between 8 Mile and Colfax Street, as well as the closure of Colfax Street from Farmington Road to Gill Road. Local access is maintained; detour on Farmington Road.
- Drake Road Rehabilitation, 13 Mile to 14 Mile Road – full closure of Drake Road between Bradford Court and Cross Creek North, with local access maintained and a detour route on Farmington Road.
- Middlebelt Sewer Transport and Storage Tunnel (I-696 to Northwestern Highway) – Middlebelt Road is closed between Highmeadow and Wellington. A detour route takes traffic around the project via Inkster Road.
- Middlebelt Road Culvert Replacement (South of 11 Mile in front of Kroger) – Middelbelt will be closed at this location on or around August 15,with a late September completion date. Traffic will detour on Inkster Road.
- I-275 reconstruction – Northbound I-275 and ramps are closed from the I-96/M-14 interchange to I-696, with an expected September 15 completion.