Two houses that each carry a little piece of local history are on the market right now in Farmington and Farmington Hills:
Built in 1844 by Dr. Alanson Hudson and his wife, Sarah, one of the oldest frame houses in Farmington sits on the north side of Shiawassee, just west of Farmington Road and the First Baptist Church. It was once owned by Lee Peel, a long-time Farmington Public Schools teacher and author of Farmington: A Pictorial History.
The Greek Revival, has an updated kitchen with cork flooring, maple cabinets, and quartz countertops, last sold in 2011 for $103,000 and is currently listed at $250,000. For more information, contact Diane Shires, cbwm.com/dshires.
Designed by legendary Michigan architect Marcus Burrowes and built in 1924, this French Provençal-style estate was Burrowes’ own home. According to a monograph written by Farmington area historian Jean Fox, Burrowes had a hand in designing more than 1,000 structures in and around Detroit alone. He designed the Kirby White House on Farmington Road, the Spicer House and Stables Building in Heritage Park, and additions to Longacre House, all of which are Farmington Hills historic district homes. The Locust Street house is also on the Michigan Register of Historic Places.
Known as “Burbrook,” the Burrowes estate fell into disrepair, but has undergone a significant restoration, from the outside stucco and as much of the original moldings, bookcases, and cabinetry as could be saved, to new mechanicals, septic field and well. Last sold four years ago for $130,000, the six-bedroom, three-bath, 4688-square-foot mansion is listed at $1.15 million. To learn more, contact Ilene Mitz and Loren Stewart, thehometeamreo.com.
Correction: The house on Shiawassee is one of the oldest frame houses in Farmington. The oldest, on Farmington Road, was built in 1826.