For the 8th consecutive year, the Art Van Charity Challenge kicks off on May 18, with 147 nonprofits large and small competing for grants up to $100,000.
Over the course of just five weeks, participating charities will rally to raise $3 million. Farmington-area participants include:
- Boys & Girls Club of Southeastern Michigan
- Girls with Guts
- Minority Males for Higher Education
Since 2008, Art Van Furniture has donated $8 million and raised $22 million for more than 350 charities through the Art Van Charity Challenge. Here’s how it works:
- The goal of the 2016 Art Van Charity Challenge is to raise $3 million in five weeks, from May 18 through June 22
- 147 participating charities located across the Midwest will compete to raise the most money. These charities are focused on children, health care and human services
- The 10 nonprofit organizations to raise the most money will share $225,000 in prize grants from Art Van Furniture, ranging in size from $1,500 up to $100,000
- The Midwest’s number one furniture and mattress retailer will donate $79,000 in bonus grants, which will be awarded to winning charities in special competitions throughout the program
- Total Art Van Furniture donations amount to $304,000
“We all play a role in helping each other,” said Art Van Elslander, founder and chairman of Art Van Furniture. “The Art Van Charity Challenge has been successful because people understand this. I think this year will be the best yet!”
The winners of the Art Van Charity Challenge will be announced on June 22. All participating charities keep the funds they raise throughout the challenge. For a complete list of charities and more information, visit artvancharitychallenge.com.